Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Arrival of Mom

After many days of anxiously awaiting the arrival of my mom, she is finally here in Uganda with me. It is such a thrill to have her here and be able to show her a part of what my life has been like. She packed all her tourist tools including binoculars and a safari hat which is great cause for teasing. The camera has become a permanent extension of her hand. At 130 pictures a day, it is fun to see Fort Portal thru her eyes.
She was quite shocked when she realized my toilet REALLY was a hole in the ground and that toilet paper was scarce. The lizards and rats haven’t seemed to bother her too much; though the rooster crowing constantly around midnight has heightened her dislike of roosters. I just chuckle and sleep right thru.

She has been quite the trooper so far – as we walk all over the village and national forest. She figures between all the walking, hills, and squatting over the hole that she will have great calf muscles when she returns home. With her arrival, it also signals the end of my time here in Uganda. It is as if my home life is now slowly creeping back and invading my life in Africa. It is a balancing act to work thru the excitement of going home among all the sadness of leaving. Today is my last day in Fort Portal (my home here) and tomorrow we will be off to be tourists in Uganda. It will be an opportunity for us to spend five days just seeing all the sites and having a good time. I will post as we travel.

No comments: