Wednesday, March 5, 2008

God's Handiwork

I was promptly put in my place yesterday as I read an email from my wonderful aunt. I had written sharing about the beauty of this place that has so quickly captured my heart. She recalled earlier reading about my struggle to find spiritual fellowship and growth in a foreign world where I attempt to maintain a grasp on the language. How easy it is to feel spiritually comfortable around our church, songs we know, and friends who walk with us. And yet as my aunt wrote, “you don’t have to be, as it surrounds you in the beauty of where you are”. The handiwork of God is seen all around without having to look in the normal places –church, hymns, people we know. We can see it in the pure nature that surrounds us everyday and know that He is near.
This brought me to my knees with a heart full of wonderment. I have been inwardly battling with a situation here for the past two weeks. I have let it control my thoughts, my words, and my heart. I felt as if a leech was rapidly draining my focus and my passion for God and the work here. Instead of turning to God with a quiet heart, I wrapped the problem around me like a cocoon and just laid in it. How silly. And so I escaped for two days because it seemed the easiest thing to do. And this is what God showed me…His hands in control of every sunrise, every wave upon the sand, and certainly in control of every detail in my life.
While this realization does not make the situation disappear like some magic trick. It does give me strength to carry on every day with a smile on my face – KNOWING that the man upstairs is writing every word in my life’s book.

No comments: